Monday, 25 February 2013

National Competition Winner!



So called by Jack FM today - a National Competition Winner and Hertfordshire writer. In a huge boost to my confidence I'm one of 10 finalists in a writing competition run by Walker Books and MumsNet, the story of Polly The Jumping Cow will be illustrated and published by Walker in a collection of Bedtime stories this October.

I'm chuffed to bits, although I cringed at how posh I sounded on the radio, didn't sound like me at all!

It's ironic that I've been plotting, scoping and fussing over two novels for Young Adults for the last couple of years, sending them out into the wilds to flounder, but the work I'm noticed for took me a walk in the forest and an hour over a cup of tea to write. Just shows how important setting and experience are, and how to grasp the inspiration as soon as it strikes.

Thanks to all at Hatfield Forest for providing me with the inspiration, and to my daughter for helping with the ending. To be published by Walker is a dream come true, I've loved their books for years, and a collection of bedtime stories? Well, I have treasured ones from my own childhood, - 365 bedtime stories, illustrated by Richard Scary, and of course - The Walker Book of Bedtime Stories, that I read to my own children.



No comments:

Post a Comment