Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Back to Life



So a back injury forced me to stop everything, cancel loads of She Who Dares adventures, including the bumble (perhaps jumping off bridges into the river isn't too good for the spine. Even the more sedate activities like cycling, swimming and pilates have had to be put on hold for a while, feel like I'm operating on half speed.

However, have been advised to walk, and borrowing my parents dog, have done just that, heading off down hitherto unexplored paths in the lovely sunshine.

I did make it into London this week for my first one off lecture at Birbeck, the last time I was on a campus was 20 years ago, but I made it, dazed and confused, having negotiated several tube changes and a wrong turn that brough me out near Coram Fileds instead of Russell Square Gardens. I made it in the end. Enjoyed the lecture by Michael Rosen, rambling and autobiographic, rich with anecdote and performance, just like an afternoon with my father. Got me to thinking how many "well known" people I've seen in the vicinity of the capital in the last year, the list goes like this:

Lady Gaga (well, that was next door in a restaurant in Sydney, not quite UK) - she is tiny.
Paul Merton - In the Swan pub, next to The Globe
Bill NIghy - shook the hands that have touched Johnny Depp (Ok, that was Cambridge)
Martin Clunes (Cornwall)
and in the recent past - Rupert Graves and Kerry Fox who performed my script, Gurinder Chadha, Frank Cottrell Boyce and Quentin Tarantino - they were in London. Not a bad line up, I'll just shake the stardust out of my eyes, makes for good inspiration to keep on with the writing.

1 comment:

  1. Jonny does seem to follow you around - Paris,Venice,la,ny ...

    ReplyDelete